Ingredients for hurricane formation
- warm sea-surface temps- greater
than 26°C (79°F)
- deep moisture at low levels
- light winds throughout troposphere
- need convergence, a trigger
- weak frontal boundary
- easterly wave
- typically form between 5°-20°
latitude, not on equator.... why?
inhibiting hurricane formation:
- cooler SST's, drier air at low
- strong trade wind
(subsidence created by sub-tropical highs)
- strong upper-level winds
1. Why are hurricanes more apt to form in October than in May?
2. Would the winds of a hurricane decrease more quickly as the
storm moves over cooler water or over warmer land? Explain.