Organized convection theory for
Energy for the hurricane comes from:
- sensible heat - warm ocean
transfers heat to air just above it
- latent heat as vapor condenses
- Initially, need an unstable
environment: cold air aloft, warm air at the
- have vigorous growth of
- intense latent heating heats the
columm of air near the center of the storm -
generates high pressure, divergence aloft, also
lowers the pressure at the surface.
- lower surface pressure increases
the pressure gradient at low levels - generates
stronger surface winds.
- stronger winds increases friction
via choppy seas
- stronger convergence into storms
- enhance convection - back to 1.
the above is a positive feedback loop - enhancing the storm's strength
let's look more closely at the stages
of development for a hurricane......