QUESTIONS FOR CH2- ENERGY: WARMING THE EARTH AND THE ATMOSPHERE
- What is energy?
- What are the different types of energy
that are important in the atmosphere and how are they
- What temperature scales to we use in
- What is heat capacity and specific heat?
- What is latent heat? Is latent heat a big
deal in the atmosphere? why or why not?
- What are the three heat transfer
mechanisms? What are examples of these?
- What is radiation?
- What are the characteristics of a
- What is a blackbody?
- What do the
Stefan-Boltzman and Wiens law tell you?
- Why is understanding
black-body radiation important?
- What are the primary
differences in the blackbody radiation
curves between the earth and sun?
- What is radiative equilibrium?
- What is the radiative equilibrium
- Why is the radiative equilibrium
temperature for the earth below freezing for the
- What is "albedo"?
- How does the atmosphere interact with
solar and terrestrial radiation?
- What does the "greenhouse
effect" refer to?
- What are the most common greenhouse
- What does "global warming" refer
- What is a selective absorber? Why is the
atmosphere a selective absorber?
- What processes are involved with the
earth's energy balance with/without at atmosphere?
- How are the aurora borealis (northern
08/16/04 06:50 PM