Review Questions for Chapter 16
- where are the tropics?
- what are the differences between the tropics and
mid latitudes in terms of:
- amount of solar radiation daily and seasonally
- winds, both direction and speed
- important processes for the development of
- why is the pressure gradient so weak in the tropics?
- what type of weather systems form in the tropics?
- what are easterly waves and their characteristics?
- describe the anatomy of a hurricane
- what would traces of temperature, pressure, and winds
look like in an E-W cross section through the center of
- what ingredients are necessary for hurricane formation?
- what factors inhibit hurricane formation?
- how does the Organized Convection Theory describe
- what are the stages of development of a hurricane and
what characteristics are observed during each stage?
- how are hurricanes referred to in the different parts of
the tropics and how do they move?
- how do hurricanes generate destruction when they make
- how are hurricanes monitored?
- what are the advantages and disadvantages of issuing
hurricane warnings over small and large stretches of
- how is hurricane strength categorized?
- how are hurricanes named?