Review Questions for Chapter 14
- Weather Forecasting
- What kinds of observational data are used in forecasting,
how are they collected, and how is the information
- What is the WMO?
- Where are the world meteorological centers?
- How are observational data and forecast information
disseminated to the WSFOs and the WSOs?
- Describe each of the following forecasting techniques and
the time frames they are best suited for:
- numerical weather prediction
- What are some problems associated with NWP?
- How can clouds, winds, and surface type (e.g., snow)
affect your max/min temperature forecast?
- How can cloud movements indicate cold/warm-air advection?
- How can one forecast with a surface chart?
- What are isallobars and how can they be used to forecast
wave cyclone movement?
- How can you forecast from local signs? (Review the chart
on pg 374)