Review Questions for Chapter 12
- Air Masses and Fronts
- What is an air mass?
- What and where are good source regions for
- How are air masses classified?
- What are the characteristics of the
air masses that commonly affect weather over the U.S.?
- How can air masses be modified?
- What are the fundamental, physical
processes involved with generating lake effect snows?
- What is a front?
- What are the types of fronts? How are they
analyzed (what symbol) on a surface weather map?
- What are the characteristics of each kind
- What is observed during frontal passage
for each kind of front?
- What kind of weather and clouds are
produced by each kind of front?
- What is "frontogenesis" and
- What is the physical interpretation of the
1000-500 thickness values? Which value can be used to
help forecast rain/snow here at LSC?