- brings cold water from deeper
regions to surface
- Northerly surface winds create
offshore surface water flow
- Cold, nutrient-rich water rises to
replace the surface water (good for fishing-
- process is dominant when winds are
parallel to coastline
out this SST image off the west coast of the US - can you see
the effects of upwelling in the data?
1. Why do the major ocean currents in the North
Indian Ocean reverse direction between summer and winter?
2. Explain why icebergs tend to move at right
angles to the wind direction.
modified by D. Reed from image by J. Wallace and S. Vogel, El Niņo and