QUESTIONS FOR CH1- THE EARTH AND IT'S ATMOSPHERE
- What is the range of scales for which
atmospheric phenomena occur?
- What is an example of a weather
phenomenon for each scale we discussed?
- What are the amounts and importance of the
three most abundant permanent gasses?
- What are the approximate amounts and
importance of the variable gasses in the atmosphere
discussed in class?
- How did the process of outgassing create
our current atmosphere?
- How are pressure and density defined?
- How are they related to each
- What are the vertical
distributions of pressure and density?
- How does one interpret these
- What is sea level pressure?
- What is the vertical distribution of
temperature in the atmosphere?
- What are the names and locations
of each layer?
- What is an inversion layer? Is it
stable or unstable?
- What is stability/instability?
- Which layers are stable/unstable?
- Where does all the weather occur?
- What governs the mean tropospheric
depth and how does is vary in time and location?
- Where is the jet stream and ozone
- What is the significance
of the ozone layer?
- What are the homosphere and
heterospheres? Where are they located?
- What is the ionosphere? Where is
it? What is it's importance?
- What are weather and climate? How do they
last updated: 08/16/04 06:26 PM